COSPE stands forCo-operation for the Development of Emerging Countries
it is a no-profit association (Onlus) operating in the field of international co-operation and solidarity, recognised as a Non Governmental Organisation (NGO) by the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the European Union.
Social Budget EN 2011
Social Budget EN 2010
Social Budget EN 2009
Presentation Brochure (410 KB)
COSPE plans and implements the following programmes:
• protection of human rights and fundamental freedoms
• promotion of women's rights and equal opportunities
• support for refugee populations and victims of war
• antiracism training and support of equal-opportunity policies for citizens from ethnic minorities in Italy
• right to education and intercultural awareness
• development of small businesses and income-generating activities
• rural development and agricultural support
• environmental protection and support for eco-sustainable development
• development education activities and campaigns to arouse public opinion on matters of global interest
COSPE was founded
in Florence in 1983 with the objective of helping to overcome conditions of poverty and social injustice throughout the world. Following initial acts of co-operation in several African and Latin American countries, COSPE is currently committed to the implementation of more than 100 projects in around 30 countries worldwide. Ever since its early days it has been promoting programmes aimed at spreading a spirit of antiracism and interculturalism, whilst playing an active role in international solidarity networks and campaigns.
COSPE is an association promoting intercultural dialogue, fair, sustainable development and human rights
• its activities are based on International Development Co-operation as a means of achieving peace and justice between peoples.
• its vision is one of fair, sustainable development promoting the freedom of peoples and the individual, as well as the quality of life of both current and future generations.
• regardless of sex, religion or culture, it believes that all persons should have equal basic rights, equal opportunities and fair access to economic resources in order to improve living conditions.
• it supports projects aimed at promoting real social change and favouring the active participation of the peoples involved.
COSPE's setup places great importance on the participation and presence of its members. Every two years, the annual general meeting elects a Management Board that appoints from amongst its members the Chairman of the Association, Secretary and Vice Secretary. Furthermore, the annual general meeting is asked to approve the association work and operation programmes.
The countries involved:
Africa - Angola, Cape Verde, Ghana, Malawi, Mozambique, Niger, Senegal, Somalia, Swaziland
Latin America - Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Cuba, Ecuador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Uruguay
Asia - Afghanistan, China, India, Mongolia, Nepal, Pakistan
Mediterranean - Algeria, Egypt, Lebanon, Morocco, Palestine, Tunisia
South East Europe - Albania, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Balkan region
in Africa, Latin America, Asia, the Mediterranean and Eastern Europe in projects that promote economic, environmental and social development. It supports the promotion of farming, craft and service industries through training, technical support and the creation of credit funds, with special regard for women's associations and networks in view of their fundamental importance to local development. It is involved in food security, rural development, afforestation, irrigation and environmental protection projects.
in Italy and Europe on educational programmes dealing with antiracism, development, interculturalism and the defence of basic rights. It organises intercultural activities in schools: refresher courses for teachers, study programmes for students and bilingual workshops for foreign pupils. It promotes activities to ensure that citizens from ethnic minorities enjoy equal opportunities in education and employment and access to services and information. It is also involved in protecting the interests of refugees and those seeking political asylum. It runs training courses on antiracism designed for workers in various public and private sectors.
The funds required to operate:
In order that International Development Co-operation might have a real effect on the causes of poverty and discrimination, projects and adequate financial resources are required. Alongside that of Local Authorities, Co-operatives and Businesses, the financial support of private citizens is of fundamental importance in guaranteeing that projects are implemented: every Euro received from private donations leads to between 5 and 10 being allocated by the public sector (Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the European Union).
COSPE is open to everyone
seeking a more immediate picture of its realities, projects and the countries in which it is active, development problems and international co-operation. Audiovisual aids, publications, photographic exhibitions and multimedia material are always available for consultation at our Florence and Bologna offices.
Everyone can give a hand and feel part of the organisation, by:
• contributing to individual projects
• supporting an operation abroad • taking part in awareness campaigns
• becoming "friends" and members of COSPE
Friends and Members of COSPE:
• With just a small contribution you can become a "friend" of COSPE by supporting and attending our events and annual general meeting as a guest.
• If you want to play a more active part in the life of the association, you can become a member by submitting an application form and paying an annual subscription.
In accordance with Article 30 of Act No. 49 dated 26th February 1987, contributions to COSPE are deductible from taxable income up to a maximum of 2%.
FIRENZE - via Slataper 10 - 50134
tel. 0039 055 473556 - fax 0039 055 472806
BOLOGNA - Scuola di Pace
Via Lombardia, 36 - 40139 Bologna
tel. 0039 051 546600 fax. 0039 051 547188
GENOVA - Via Lomellini, 15/8 - 16124
tel 0039 329 4878729 (mobile)
fax 0039 010 2465768
Tax Number: 94008570486
PO account: n. 27127505
Bank account: n. 7876 Banca Etica sede Firenze, sede di Firenze, Via dell'Agnolo, 73r
ABI 05018 - CAB 02800 - CIN P - IBAN IT12 P050 1802 8000 0000 0007 876
COSPE is a member of:
COCIS, SOLIDAR, Italian NGOs Association, Banca Popolare Etica, TRANSFAIR, CO-OPERA, ADAB (Albanian and Balkan Women's Association), Nicaraguan Food Security, CISA (Italian Committee for Solidarity with Algeria), ENAR (European Network Against Racism), BABELEA, More Colour in the Media.
Agreements and recognition:
Framework Partnership Agreement (FPA) with ECHO, accredited to the ÒConference of the PartiesÓ of the Convention to Combat Desertification (CCD), recognised by the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs for training programmes run on behalf of local populations in developing countries.